Monday, July 2

Holes


I tend to have holes in my blogging. My intentions to blog, to record everyday happenings, tend to be stronger than my follow through. Sometimes it's just hard to justify the time to craft a post. But enough blogging about not blogging. Let's talk about holes. Knitting with holes.

I learned a lot of knitting from books. I don't have any fancy way of holding the yarn and picking or throwing, I just loop the yarn around the needle. Inefficient, but it works for me. Learning the basics of lace, I understood, or at least I thought I did, the idea of a yarn over. Just make that loop around the needle without having put said needle into an existing stitch. No sweat. I played with some swatching, but then I made the mistake then of looking at a book and good golly, there were six different instructions for Yarn Overs! That confused the hell out of me. I finally realized that all of them did the same thing. The instructions were just to show the most efficient way of getting that YO in there without actually putting the loop on the needle in a separate step. The six different instructions explained what to do when working between two knit stitches, between two purls, going from a knit to a purl, etc. Now I have found a knitting book that even gives them different names. Instead of instructing one to make a YO, the instructions have yfrn, yrn, yon, and yo. I ask you. Does any knitter need or want instructions that contain all four variants?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good lord, no.

Kathleen said...

That's too many to think of and I'd have to look them up each time because I don't know what all the letters mean - 'yfrn' - and my guess may be way off.

I like my simple way. no loop over intentionally - bring the yarn to the front as if to purl and then knit instead. bring the yarn to the back as if to knit and then purl. No intentional loop - except for the YO2 thing in the monkey pattern!

So, are you making a reunion shawl? I still haven't started that... still haven't decided what... haven't even been looking much.

Miss Me said...

that is scary! i'm with you on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - what i do works just fine, i don't need to know which one i'm doing. i'm happier being blissfully ignorant...