Tuesday, January 2

Suggestions?


I finished my Red Scarf Project scarf. Well, maybe. I used the multi-directional scarf pattern and was very happy with it except for the ending decrease triangle. That's why I haven't woven in the yarn end yet. Blocking helped a lot, but as you can see, it still is askew.

I see three options:
  • leave it as is. Franz and Zach think it looks fine.
  • rip the triangle and reknit, finding some other decrease scenario that looks better.
  • rip the triangle. Knit a new triangle like the beginning one and graft. Kitchenering garter?
What do you think.


Yarn is Mountain Colors Twizzle, a wonderful merino-silk blend. Color is Ruby River --- much nicer than the photo shows (Seattle won't get natural light til sometime in March). It Ran Like Crazy when I blocked it. I soaked it in Synthrapol and will do so again before mailing it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about doing the math (multiply by .7? Divide by .7? Something like that...) and casting on a garter-stitch border for the ends? I bet 6 rows of garter stitch would greatly normalize the appearance.

Anonymous said...

Oh hey, checkit! I just ran across a version of the pattern which includes errata - a different way to knit the last triangle, so as to avoid the problem you mentioned. (I also noticed that Norma's Multidirectionals all have a garter stitch border. So you are not alone!)

http://douma.net/Karen/knitting/Accessory-Scarves/Multidirectional_Diagonal_Scarf.htm

Anonymous said...

err... that URL got cut off. How about a link?

Dorothy Neville said...

Bless your heart! You're dog rescuer and scarf rescuer! I thought about the garter border ala Norma, but really didn't want that look for this scarf.

This alternate last triangle instructions is just what I needed. Thanks.

Kathleen said...

Glad you got an alternative. I was going to go with Franz and Zach, except say - add some fringe... no one will notice! :)

My version still has pointy ends, but since both ends point, all is good! The yarn shop's sample also has my pointy ends, so perhaps I started with a slightly different version of the pattern. Yours looks lovely, btw!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I plan to use that pattern for one of my RSP scarves so I'm happy to benefit from your experience. If I were you, though, I'd go with Franz and Zach -- it looks great, it's only the knitter (you) who might notice that pointy corner.

Dorothy said...

That was the reason I didn't much care for that scarf. Now, with the pattern errata, I think I just may give it a try in the near future.